Salary: $43,166.60 – $68,168.57 Annually
Location: 12601 Ridgedale Drive, Minnetonka
Job Type: Full-time
Job Number: 19LIB608JR028
Closing: 4/15/2019 11:59 PM Central
Come join one of the top library systems in the United States as an Administrative Assistant in the Collection & Technical Services (CTS) Department at Hennepin County Library (HCL). In this role, you will report to a Senior Librarian within CTS and will be responsible for managing and maintaining centralized periodical ordering and online records for over 5,000 periodical subscriptions within the 41 county library locations. You will also work with periodical vendors and publishers playing a crucial role in procuring periodicals for the entire library system.
Location and hours:
This position is located at 12601 Ridgedale Dr. Minnetonka, MN 55305. The hours are flexible beginning at 7 a.m. Standard hours are 8:30 a.m – 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
In this position, you will:
• Assist in the selection, ordering, receiving, invoicing, cataloging, processing, and overall management of the HCL collection with a focus on subscriptions
• Oversee maintenance of records for print and online subscriptions within the library’s Integrated Library System (ILS); and the primary periodical vendor’s online tool used for ordering and claiming
• Build relationships with and maintain contact with the library’s periodical vendors, communicating any problems with subscription delivery, vendor software, or timeliness of problem resolution
• Investigate problems and implement solutions regarding issues with periodical delivery, orders, processing, and the library’s electronic periodical records management within the library’s ILS
• Supervise subscription staff of four
Need to have:
One of the following:
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in education, public administration, or other field appropriate to the position
• General administrative work experience relating to the position may be substituted for education on a year for year basis
Nice to have:
• Experience in:
– Supervision, and previous employment in a library
– Teaching or leading staff with learning new tools, approaches and strategies
– Working with periodicals
• Initiative and ability to exercise independent judgment that reflects the needs of patrons and internal clients while meeting organizational goals
• Ability to conceptualize connections between various electronic records of information and understand their interrelatedness
• Proven effective skills in utilizing Microsoft Office software, in particular Excel, and ability to handle electronic data and conduct internet research
• Negotiation skills to appropriately deal with vendors and publishers, as well as to manage expectations of internal clients regarding available resources
• Ability to work logically and systematically, with good time management, attention on details, and outstanding organizational skills
• Excellent communication skills in interacting both verbally and in writing with internal and external staff of all professional levels
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well as part of a team and independently
• Proven ability to address technical and process problems
• Familiarity with SirsiDynix Horizon, EBSCONET, online ordering systems, and public libraries
About the department:
Hennepin County Library works to nourish minds, transform lives and build community together. We are about much more than books. In addition to a collection of almost 5 million books, CDs and DVDs, the library system maintains a treasure trove of documents and online resources, and offers programming to aid and enrich Hennepin County employees and clients.
About Hennepin County:
Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals — that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile.
Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at www.hennepin.us/employees.
Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community.