Acad Prof and Admin
About the Job
The University of Minnesota Libraries’ Human Resources supports and enables individual staff development and advancement in an agile and highly collaborative academic environment. The Director of Human Resources facilitates the Libraries’ growth as an innovative organization by championing a culture of diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility, and excellence where each leader and individual contributor can work to their full potential. The University Libraries is an academic unit reporting to the Provost and supports the University’s teaching/learning, research, and service missions.
The Director of Human Resources reports to the Dean and University Librarian, with a dotted line relationship to the Vice President for Human Resources. The Director works closely with the Associate University Librarians, the Library IT Director, the Director for Finance & Facilities, the Director of Communications, and service area directors. The University of Minnesota Libraries HR team is currently comprised of the HR Director and three HR Professionals.
- Strategic Leadership and Planning 40%
- Strategic partner: Serve as a strategic partner with Libraries leadership, leading the development, implementation, and assessment of the Libraries’ short-term and long-term human resources (HR) strategies.
- Staffing and Succession Plans: Engage with Libraries’ leadership in development of staffing and succession plans.
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Accessibility: Promote and enable a culture that supports diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility and engagement.
- Workforce Planning, Compensation, Performance Management and Engagement 40%
- Classification, recruitment, compensation: Facilitate workforce planning in collaboration with administrative and departmental leads to recruit and maintain a skilled, engaged, diverse, properly classified workforce with fair compensation. Ensure processes are aligned with University policies.
- Librarian appointments: Oversee academic searches for librarian appointments; administer reappointment/ promotion/continuous appointment processes.
- Employee and labor relations, performance management: Lead the development and delivery of Libraries’ programs to develop and support managers; create and implement performance management strategies and provide leadership and guidance on labor and employee relations issues.
- Compliance 10%
- EEO/Affirmative Action: As Liaison to the EOAA office, maintain and disseminate information on University policies and guidelines related to equal opportunity and affirmative action. Collaborate with EOAA on reports or concerns involving discrimination or harassment.
- Federal/State Law: Remain current on employment and other applicable state and federal laws and ensure that the Libraries complies.
- Supervision 10%
- Manage the HR Team: Recruit, develop, manage, and evaluate Libraries’ HR team and ensure that HR staff have the resources, training, and knowledge needed to deliver professional HR services.
Additional Information: Must be able to work regularly at University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus location.
This is a full-time, 12-month, annual renewable, academic professional position. The salary minimum for this position is $110,000. The Libraries offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits. Application review will begin on November 1, 2021.
- BS/BA degree in Human Resources or a closely related field with ten or more years of experience, including a minimum of five years experience supervising an HR team and HR generalist work. Applicants with a non-related bachelor’s degree must demonstrate twelve years of related work experience.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute strategically to an organization’s priority directions.
- Demonstrated leadership ability and an ability to influence others directly and indirectly.
- Experience with talent acquisition, workforce planning, compensation, employee relations, and project management.
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing equity, diversity and inclusion with experience working respectfully and effectively with individuals from racially and culturally diverse populations.
- Strong analytical skills and experience in the use of metrics.
- Evidence of innovative problem solving in complex contexts.
- Advanced degree in Human Resources and/or HR certifications.
- Experience in the public sector and with bargaining unit contracts.
- Equity and Diversity: Creating a strong organizational climate and structure of access and inclusion as the critical elements and core values in achieving excellence.
- Results: Finding ways to drive and support innovation while increasing the efficient use of resources.
- Vision: Setting the right direction, navigating difficult decisions, and aligning resources with priorities.
- Engagement: Building and sustaining high performing teams and departments with focus on retaining top talent.
- Collaboration: Working well as part of a team and collaborating with and influencing a diverse range of individuals and groups.
- Accountability: Establishing and maintaining a reputation for integrity and personal accountability.
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will have the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach a cover letter and resume.
Please attach the following documents in Word or PDF Format: (DO NOT copy and paste.)
- Cover Letter (identify cover letter with UL428).
- Names, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three current references.
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your “My Activities” page and uploading documents there. Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu.
Background Check Information
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC)
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC), is among the largest public research universities in the country, offering undergraduate, graduate, and professional students a multitude of opportunities for study and research. Located at the heart of one of the nation’s most vibrant, diverse metropolitan communities, students on the campuses in Minneapolis and St. Paul benefit from extensive partnerships with world-renowned health centers, international corporations, government agencies, and arts, nonprofit, and public service