POSITION TITLE: LIBRARIAN, WASECA PUBLIC LIBRARY
SUPERVISOR: Director, Waseca-Le Sueur Regional Library System
POSITION OVERVIEW: This position serves as library administrator and supervises the operation of the Waseca Public Library facility and personnel. The Librarian is the main provider of reference and readers’ advisory service to the public.
• Serves as the lead on the Young Adult/Adult Programming Team. Plans, produces, and promotes young adult and adult original events, branch kits, and displays. Develops creative events including leading coding and STEAM skills workshops. Holds events at branch and mini libraries as needed. Identifies and utilizes skilled resource people to present programs and information.
• Establishes and instructs community members on library resources and technology, including teens, parents, job seekers, and seniors.
• Understands theories of adolescent learning and development and their implications for library service. Stays informed of current and emerging trends in librarianship.
• Creates excellent customer experiences—making patrons feel welcome and providing positive and memorable patron experiences.
• Provides reference and readers’ advisory for patrons. Trains staff in the use of reference and readers’ advisory tools and techniques for providing quality customer service. Keeps abreast of new young adult and adult materials. Demonstrates a knowledge and appreciation of young adult and adult materials. Encourages the use of materials and services through book talks, reading lists, and other tools. Answers computer and e-reader questions.
• Develops and maintains the young adult and adult collection, including weeding and analyzing to determine needs.
• Provides an inviting atmosphere for library patrons.
• Makes recommendations and provides assistance to the Director as requested.
• Assists with the administration of policies set by the Board of Trustees.
• Attends meetings as requested. Writes minutes of Library Board meetings. Serves on Traverse des Sioux Library Cooperative Technology and Young Adult committees.
• Makes dynamic working relationships with local businesses and organizations in order to promote library services, and holds events outside of the library, helping the library reach beyond the library building’s walls to meet community needs.
• Prepares specifications, obtains bids, and makes recommendations for the purchase of tech equipment and supplies. Coordinates installation of tech equipment and supplies with help of Traverse des Sioux Library Cooperative
• Updates library computers and coordinates updates with branches.
• Assists in hiring all headquarters personnel, other than director. Hires library page staff. Supervises, trains, schedules, and evaluates library personnel.
• Assists with public relations activities.
• Checks materials in and out, renews and reserves materials, and takes meeting room and computer reservations.
• Processes fines, interlibrary loan materials, and new library cards.
• Prepares, processes, and distributes courier items.
• Performs other duties as assigned or apparent.
REQUIRED INTERPERSONAL SKILLS (ability to):
• Work independently and as part of a team.
• Work in a busy public service atmosphere with frequent interruptions.
• Manage library operations.
• Motivate and coordinate the work of library personnel.
• Communicate effectively.
• Apply time management skills.
• Maintain confidentiality and provide outstanding customer service.
• Approach position with professionalism, initiative, attention to detail, and tact.
• Maintain a balanced budget.
• Be flexible and continuously learn, unlearn, and relearn.
• Masters Degree in Library Science. ALA preferred.
• Computer literacy with MS office proficiency
• Knowledge of library operations and library collection
• Customer service experience
• Ability to stand, walk, crouch, stoop, squat, twist, climb, push/pull up to 50 pounds, and lift up to 25 pounds.
• Knowledge of and ability to apply current technology to the position.
ANTICIPATED HIRING RANGE:
• health insurance, PERA, paid sick days, 11 paid holidays, and paid vacation.
• 40 hours per week, to include day, evening, and weekend hours.
Please submit applications in the form of a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references by Thursday, June 14th, 2018 to:
Stacy Lienemann, Director at email@example.com, 507-835-3700 (fax), or via snail mail at:
Waseca Public Library
408 N State St
Waseca MN 56093