POSITION TITLE: LIBRARIAN, WASECA PUBLIC LIBRARY
SUPERVISOR: Director, Waseca-Le Sueur Regional Library System
POSITION OVERVIEW: This position serves as a library administrator and supervises the operation of the Waseca Public Library facility and personnel. The Librarian is the main provider of reference and readers’ advisory service to the public.
• Leads Young Adult/Adult Programming Team, serving users ages 13+. Plans, produces, and promotes young adult and adult booked and original events, including rotating event kits. Holds events at branch and mini libraries as needed.
• Makes dynamic working relationships with local businesses and organizations in order to promote library services. Holds library outreach events, helping extend the library’s reach.
• Answers reference and research questions, performs readers’ advisory services, instructs patrons on the use of library resources and technology. Trains staff in these areas. Keeps abreast of new young adult and adult materials. Encourages use of collection and services through book talks, reading lists, and other tools.
• Creates excellent customer experiences—making patrons feel welcome and providing positive and memorable patron experiences.
• Develops and maintains the young adult and adult collections through weeding and analyzing to determine needs.
• Assists with the administration of policies set by the Board of Trustees.
• Attends meetings as requested. Composes minutes of Library Board meetings. Serves on Traverse des Sioux Library Cooperative Technology and Young Adult committees.
• Prepares specifications, obtains bids, and makes recommendations for the purchase of tech equipment and supplies. Coordinates installation and maintenance of tech equipment and supplies with help of Traverse des Sioux Library Cooperative.
• Assists in hiring all headquarters personnel, other than director. Hires and trains library page staff. Supervises, schedules, and evaluates library personnel.
• Stays informed of current and emerging trends in librarianship. Understands theories of adolescent learning and development and their implications for library service.
• Assists with public relations activities.
• Performs other duties as assigned or apparent.
REQUIRED INTERPERSONAL SKILLS (ability to):
• Work independently and as part of a team.
• Work in a busy public service atmosphere with frequent interruptions.
• Manage library operations.
• Motivate and coordinate the work of library personnel.
• Communicate effectively.
• Apply time management and prioritization skills.
• Maintain confidentiality and provide outstanding customer service.
• Approach position with professionalism, initiative, attention to detail, and tact.
• Maintain a balanced budget.
• Be flexible and continuously learn, unlearn, and relearn.
• Masters Degree in Library Science or Bachelor’s Degree in Education. ALA preferred.
• Supervisory and customer service experience
• Computer literacy with MS office proficiency
• Knowledge of library operations and library collection
• Ability to stand, walk, crouch, stoop, squat, twist, climb, push/pull up to 50 pounds, and lift up to 25 pounds.
• Knowledge of and ability to apply current technology to the position.
ANTICIPATED HIRING RANGE:
• health insurance, PERA, paid sick days, 11 paid holidays, and paid vacation.
• 40 hours per week, including some evening and weekend hours.
Please submit applications in the form of a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references by Thursday, August 16th, 2018 to:
Stacy Lienemann, Director at firstname.lastname@example.org, 507-835-3700 (fax), or via snail mail at:
Waseca Public Library
408 N State St
Waseca MN 56093