# of openings: 1
Appointment: Full Time – Regular
FLSA Classification: Salaried (Exempt)
Annualized FTE: 1.0
Priority Date: 5/18/18
Location: Regular Jobs
Purpose of Position
Macalester College seeks to hire a full-time Digital Initiatives Librarian. The Digital Initiatives Librarian develops, promotes, and maintains library systems that support scholarly research, digital projects and digital publishing for the DeWitt Wallace Library. The individual in this position is someone who embraces technology and digital scholarship and seeks opportunities to share both with the Macalester community and beyond. Knowledge about scholarly communication issues, technology trends in higher education, and digital competencies for the 21st century are essential. Excellent communication, outreach, and interpersonal skills are required in order to enhance collaboration across campus.
The Digital Initiatives Librarian is a member of the Communications, Publications and Finance team and reports to the Library Director. In 2016, we received the ACRL Excellence in Academic Libraries Award. We were chosen for our assessment, collaboration, and diversity initiatives. We seek candidates who are interested in our efforts to continuously strive to ensure that our work supports the information and learning goals of our community through innovative services, quality resources, and a personalized touch.
The four primary areas of responsibility for this position include:
• Institutional repository and library publishing – Provides primary responsibility for supporting the ongoing development and evaluation of our institutional repository. A key responsibility will be evaluating new systems for the purpose of a potential future migration.
• Digital Liberal Arts support – Helps support the Digital Liberal Arts initiatives on campus in partnership with our librarians, the Academic Information Associates (AIAs), The Center for Scholarship and Teaching (CST), students, faculty, and staff. Working collaboratively, this position helps support the intersection and integration of digital resources with scholarship and teaching.
• Library website and electronic systems and services support – Coordinates updates and overall management of the library website. Collaboration is a key component and this person works closely with others within the library as well as colleagues in Communications and Public Relations and in Information Technology Services (ITS) to maintain conformity and accessibility for the website. This individual will collect and assess data on our systems and web services in order to share usage data, identify key user experience issues, and work towards optimal usability and accessibility.
• Technology literacy and advocacy – Assists in providing overall technical support for the library staff for projects, systems, and services. Works in partnership with our Research and Instruction Librarians, ITS, Entrepreneurship and others to continue to bring Macalester forward in the goal of being a leader among liberal arts colleges in the use of technology. This individual will help shape library support for this strategic goal and helping develop increased technical fluency across campus.
• MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution, relevant work experience may be substituted for a Master’s degree
• Demonstrated experience managing websites, digital publishing, and/or institutional repositories including knowledge of evolving standards for accessibility and usability
• Demonstrated ability to adopt, implement and teach new technologies
• Excellent interpersonal, analytical, organizational, problem-solving, and communication skills, including evidence of ability to work collegially and collaboratively within and across organizations, as well as with vendors and publishers
• Excellent project management skills
• Familiarity with Scholarly Communication and technology trends in higher education
• Academic library experience
• Familiarity with existing software solutions for library and archival applications including but not limited to: DigitalCommons, CONTENTdm, Omeka, Guide on the Side, LibGuides, Reclaim Hosting, WordPress, and more.
• Familiarity with Google Apps scripting
• Familiarity with Google analytics
• Demonstrated experience with web development utilizing a variety of software, programming codes, web applications and systems related to library services
• Understanding of copyright, fair use, and intellectual property issues
• Familiarity with H5P and Pressbooks
• Experience with APIs
• Understanding of OER and the open textbook movement in higher education
For best consideration please submit resume and cover letter in one PDF document through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage no later than May 18, 2018. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphases on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit http://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/ for more information about benefits at Macalester College.