Salary: $58,526.08 – $86,848.25 Annually
Location: All Suburban Ramsey County Library Locations, MN
Job Type: Full Time
Job Number: 0474-17/08-001
Closing: 9/19/2017 4:30 PM Central
To manage the operations of a branch library or a major function within the library system or serve as the assistant manager of a large library where the manager is a Librarian 4; to supervise staff that may include librarians, library associates, a circulation supervisor, clerk typists, and library pages; to manage or work on system-wide programs and projects; to manage ordering, cataloging, and physical processing of all library materials; and to perform related duties as assigned.
If an internal candidate is selected, salary will be set in accordance with personnel rules.
Examples of Work Performed
• Promote a diverse, culturally competent, and respectful workplace.
• Manage the operations of the Technical Services department or a mid-size to larger library branch or serve as the assistant manager of a large library where the manager is a Librarian 4.
• Supervise Librarians 1 & 2, Circulation Supervisors, Library Associates 1 & 2, Clerk Typists 1-3, and Library Pages by interviewing, hiring, training, issuing reprimands, scheduling work assignments and evaluating job performance.
• Stay current with Library technology, fostering the ability of staff to adapt quickly to a changing environment, and encouraging staff to research new technology on their own.
• Serve on the library’s Collection Steering Team to evaluate library collections, assign material selectors, and distribute the collections budget.
• Create and maintain a welcoming environment that encourages all community members to use library services, by ensuring that the building, shelves, and displays look neat, organized, attractive and uncluttered, that displays are eye-catching, and that signage is clear and easy to read.
• Establish policies for the operation of the Technical Services Division and recommend and implement approved changes to cataloging and processing procedures.
• Provide input on the library budget by recommending branch or unit requirements based on staffing needs, materials and equipment needs, and other operating expenses.
• Provide expertise to overall management of the library system by participating in library systems management groups.
• Conduct staff meetings to share information and solve problems.
• Represent the Library in the local community, including at public jurisdictions’ meetings.
• Partner with departments, organizations, and agencies outside the library in the development of services and programs.
• Lead or serve on committees and task forces, both internal and external, as assigned.
• Manage and implement system-wide work plan projects.
• Provide reference services to library customers by analyzing their requests, searching the most appropriate information sources, and ensuring that reference service is available during all hours of branch operations.
• Oversee the maintenance of library building and grounds by troubleshooting building problems, reporting issues to property staff, bringing problems to the attention of the building services manager, and contacting the appropriate authorities when an emergency arises.
(The work assigned to a position in this classification may not include all possible tasks in this work and does not limit the assignment of any additional tasks in this classification. Regular attendance according to the position’s management approved work schedule is required.)
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 15, 16
Education: Master’s Degree in Library Science or Library and Information Science/Services from an ALA accredited school. (No substitution for education.)
Experience: Four years’ (Full Time Equivalent) experience as a librarian, including two years (FTE) as a Librarian 2 or equivalent.
Exam/Screening Process Information
Screening/Examination Process: The examination process will consist of the following section weighted as indicated:
Training & Experience Rating ……………………………..Wt. 100%
The examination for Librarian 3 will consist of a training and experience rating, comprised of the questions in the attached supplemental questionnaire. The rating on this supplemental questionnaire will depend on the answers provided. A candidate must pass the training and experience rating in order to be advanced in the process.
Eligible List: The names of all applicants who pass the examination/screening process and file a properly completed application shall be placed on the eligible list for employment as an Librarian 3. This list will be certified to the appointing authority which may use this list to fill a vacancy. Candidates will remain on the list for four months or until hired, whichever occurs first. A notice will be sent to applicants at the time the eligible list is posted, informing them that the list has been posted and their rank on the list.
Veteran’s Preference: This is a classified position requiring an open, competitive selection process. Veteran’s Preference points will be applied after a candidate passes the examination process. Applicants who are eligible for veteran’s preference should update their veteran’s DD214, and other supporting documents, and submit them as an attachment at the time of application.
Criminal Background Checks: All employment offers are conditioned upon the applicant passing a criminal background check. Convictions are not an automatic bar to employment. Each case is considered on its individual merits and the type of work sought. However, making false statements or withholding information will cause you to be barred from employment, or removed from employment.