Salary: $17.50 Hourly
Location: Elk River 55330-1692, MN
Job Type: Contracted/Appointed
Department: County Attorney
Job Number: 2018-00922
Closing: 9/28/2018 11:59 PM Central
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISORS: Sherburne County Law Library Board
THIS POSITION IS DEEMED AN INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR POSITION. THIS IS NOT AN OFFER FOR EMPLOYMENT. THIS POSITION SHALL BE SUBJECT TO A CONTRACT FOR SERVICES AND THE PERFORMANCE OF THE VENDOR SHALL BE EVALUATED IN 6 AND 10 MONTHS.
Rate of Pay: $17.50 per hour
Number of hours per week: 16 to 24 hours pending on negotiations and needs
Tentative interview date: October 9, 2018
The primary objectives of this position are to maintain the reference materials of the law library, keep financial and other necessary records of law library activities, provide secretarial assistance to Board of Trustees, develop outreach regarding the law library and its services and assist patrons using the law library resources.
This position is under the direction and authority of the Sherburne County Law Library Board of Trustees. Supervision consists of initial instruction and some specific directions of law library details and procedures. However, the individual must work independently on the regular handling of the materials, financial records and operations of the law library.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
MAJOR TASK AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
1. Maintain Reference Materials/On Line Access
• Receive books, updates and other reference materials verify shipping statements.
• Stamp materials for library property identification.
• Dispose of obsolete materials.
• Shelve books and generally maintain library appearance.
• Maintain inventory of library property.
• Locate and retrieve items missing from the library.
• Monitor Internet based legal research tools and contracts.
• Make recommendation for need for change or acquisition of materials/programs.
2. Handle Correspondence and Financial Records
• Pick up law library mail and direct/respond as appropriate.
• Keep major legal advertisements for possible purchase. Discard irrelevant materials. Handle other correspondence.
• Compare billings with statement shipment, prepare and submit claims for approval and payment by the Director of the Board.
• Prepare monthly Financial Reports and Activity Reports for library board’s review.
• Maintain public file of financial records and minutes for public inspection.
• Monitor contracts for due dates and compliance to report to the Board.
• Maintain and update the web page with current information and social media outreach.
3. Provide Secretarial Assistance to the Board of Trustees
• Prepare necessary correspondence for the board.
• Prepare and deliver meeting agendas.
• Take and prepare board minutes.
• Report to the Board Trustees various law library activities.
• Communicate user requests for the purchase of new materials.
4. Assist patrons using Law Library Resources
• Assist attorneys with on-line computer research with Westlaw and other library materials and resources including photocopier.
• Download district court forms, rules, procedures for public patrons and law clinic attendees. Assist with guardianship conservatorship forms on line. Help find legal information on-line. This position is not an attorney and there is to be no provision of legal advice.
• Provide pro se litigants alternatives to assess services and develop a program for attorney referrals.
• Provide meeting space for depositions.
• Coordinate activities with public meetings, outreach and media press releases.
• Answer phone calls from public and provide legal reference information.
• Work in conjunction with the Minnesota State Law Library, attorneys and pro se individuals and make recommendations for improvement of service.
Provide revenue forecasts based on previous records and estimated impact of board action. Draft a proposed budget for consideration by the Law Library Board of Directors. Prepare and provide copies of approved budget request to Auditor/Treasurer’s office with copies to all library board members and county commissioners. Track budget expenditures and report on the same to the Board. Deposit monies on a regular basis with the Auditor/Treasurer’s Office.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR RELATIONSHIPS:
Frequent personal contact with the bench, court administration, IT, pros see litigants and attorneys, Auditor/Treasurer, and County Attorney’s Office.
Frequent contact with board members providing information and receiving instructions.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
• Minimum – Paralegal Degree, legal secretary or comparable work experience – Knowledge of Minnesota substantive/procedural laws.
• Knowledgeable and familiar with Minnesota provided court forms, rules and procedures.
• Understand I-Can, MNCIS and CAMPER Guardianship on line programs.
• Experience with Minnesota Judicial Self-help website, court system and jurisdictions.
• Working knowledge of Westlaw or other vendor for on line legal research and all legal publishers.
• Good oral, legal writing and listening skills to communicate effectively with library board, attorneys, court personnel and emotional/diverse public.
• Ability to organize library materials neatly and efficiently maintain accurate financial library records and reports.
• Ability to keep accurate minutes of meetings and carry out board directives promptly.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all county departments and public civic groups, schools and media.
• Ability to effectively multitask with attorneys and patrons during active law clinics.
Work is in a county law library.
Requires repeated lifting and carrying boxes of books and lifting books to shelves (40#). Requires the ability to use a keyboard, computer and copy machine. Some work is performed at a desk or workstation.
The work hours will be 16-24 hours per week with a schedule to be agreed upon by the Board and the applicant. Such hours will be between the Courthouse operational hours of Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The successful vendor, prior to being offered the contract, shall be subject to a background check (including a criminal history). The determination of the passage of the background check is in the sole discretion of the Law Library Board.