Job Title: Fine Arts Librarian
Opening Date/Time: Wed. 05/30/18 12:00 AM Central Time
Closing Date/Time: Continuous
Salary: Not Displayed
Job Type: Exempt, Administrative Staff, Full Time
Location: College of Saint Benedict/Saint John’s University, Minnesota
Department: Library – SJU Coordinate
The Libraries at the College of Saint Benedict and Saint John’s University (CSB/SJU) invite applications for the full-time, benefit-eligible position of Fine Arts Librarian.
The Fine Arts Librarian, as part of a team of public services librarians, works directly with faculty and students to provide support for scholarship and creativity. This Librarian provides research consultation, information literacy, collection development, outreach, and liaison services to faculty, students, and staff in the Fine Arts Division, specifically the Art, Music, and Theatre departments, as well as interdisciplinary programs with Fine Arts components. In addition, the Fine Arts Librarian shares responsibility for delivering information literacy and instructional programs for the First Year Seminar (FYS) program. This position provides general and specialized reference services in a variety of environments, including in-person, telephone, email, and online.
The CSB/SJU Libraries are a single library organization supporting the joint academic efforts of our two colleges. We strive to create an inclusive environment that empowers collaboration, creativity, and scholarship while supporting student learning, faculty research, and the intellectual curiosity of our academic community. At SJU, we recently finished a $25 million renovation and Learning Commons addition to the Alcuin Library; the facility houses the Saint John’s Bible (http://www.saintjohnsbible.org/ ). At CSB, a renovation of the Clemens Library is planned for 2019; we also support a departmental Music Library. In collaboration with our IT Services department, the library partners with IT Services to provide instructional technology support for a wide variety of courses utilizing video, 3D printing, podcasting, and extended reality.
The College of St. Benedict, a liberal arts college for women, and Saint John’s University, a liberal arts college for men, are located four miles apart in Central Minnesota just outside St. Cloud and 70 miles from Minneapolis. Both are Catholic colleges in the Benedictine tradition. The Benedictine value of hospitality creates a welcoming community for individuals of all faiths and perspectives. Students and faculty from many diverse belief systems collectively bring a rich dimension to the academic, cultural and religious experience at CSB|SJU. More information about the colleges is available at http://www.csbsju.edu/about.
1. Information Literacy and Instructional Development: Design and implement strategic and pedagogically appropriate instruction for library users through a variety of methods; educate and inform faculty and students on issues of scholarly communication and integrate into the Information Literacy curriculum. Communicates with faculty regarding the availability and benefits of information literacy services for First Year Seminar program and upper level courses in assigned academic departments. In addition, responsible for delivering instructional technology sessions (e.g., videography and 3D printing) to FYS and upper level courses in assigned departments. (40%)
2. Reference and Research Consultation: Provides reference services in a variety of environments, utilizing virtual reference utilities and in-person consultation with faculty and students. Some evening and weekend hours may be assigned. (25%)
3. Engagement/Departmental Liaison: Serves as the liaison to the Art, Music, and Theatre departments for faculty, students, and staff. Takes initiative to identify, meet, and facilitate ongoing communications with faculty, students, and staff regarding their information needs and service expectations. Educate and inform faculty and students on scholarly communication issues, in part by integrating issues into the information literacy curriculum as appropriate. Works with the departmental bibliographers to assure the acquisition of materials appropriate to the various specialties incorporated in the department. In conjunction with the Collection Development Librarian and departmental faculty, manages the collection in assigned areas including recommendations on withdrawals and transitions from analog to digital formats. Special responsibility for management of the Music Library collection housed in the Benedicta Arts Center. Monitors research and emerging issues in scholarly communication, advocates for open access and use of DigitalCommons. (25%)
4. Outreach and professional development: Represents the Libraries within the College and University and among the Libraries’ consortium organizations. Participates in programs that provide learning opportunities and personal professional development. Seek ways to improve library services and collections to support the mission of the CSB/SJU Libraries, and promotes library activities through local and national conferences. Performs special project work for the Associate Director for Research, Reference and Instruction and/or the Library Director as requested. (10%)
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Master’s Degree in Library Science, or equivalent combination of relevant advanced degree (e.g., M.F.A, technology-related Master’s) and experience.
• Demonstrated understanding of both traditional and emerging scholarly and professional communication systems in the Fine Arts.
• Understanding of the purposes and role of the library in liberal arts education
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Demonstrated skill in providing instruction to groups and individuals
• Ability to handle multiple priorities
• Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively
• ALA-Accredited Master’s Degree in Library Science
• Undergraduate or graduate degree in the Fine Arts.
• Understanding of instructional technology applications in a liberal arts college library – e.g., video production, 3D printing, podcasting.
• Facility with video editing software.
• Demonstrated ability to teach as part of an information literacy instruction program, including sessions appropriate for introductory and upper-level undergraduate courses in at least one academic discipline.
Applications are accepted online by clicking “Apply” above. Interested candidates should complete an application form and attach a cover letter and resume. Transcript required at time of hire.
If you require special accommodations to participate in the College of Saint Benedict/Saint John’s University hiring process, please contact us at (320) 363-5500 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is the policy of CSB and SJU to conduct pre-employment background checks. An offer of employment is contingent upon a successful background check.
Women, individuals of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The College of Saint Benedict and Saint John’s University are Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employers.