Job Title: Electronic Resources and Discovery Librarian
Closing Date/Time: Mon. 10/30/17 11:59 PM Central Time
Salary: See Position Description
Job Type: Full-Time, Tenure-Track, Probationary
Location: 700 East Seventh Street, Saint Paul, MN 55106, Minnesota
METROPOLITAN STATE UNIVERSITY, a vibrant and growing public, urban university, is seeking to fill a full-time, probationary tenure-track assistant professor within the Library and Information Services beginning January, 2018.
• Manage the eresource lifecycle of the library’s subscription databases and ejournals, including troubleshooting access issues, evaluating and assessing resources, and serving as a liaison to vendors, which may include license negotiations.
• Manage and administer the library’s discovery service, electronic resource management systems, link resolver, and proxy service.
• Work with the Cataloging and Acquisitions Librarian to monitor and report on the budget for licensed resources.
• Analyze eresource use and develop usage reports.
• Identify electronic resources training opportunities for library faculty and staff.
• Participate as appropriate in regional library consortia, such as MnPALS and Minitex.
• Provide reference service.
• May include some library instruction.
• May coordinate the work of student worker(s) and library technician(s).
• Engage in scholarly research or creative achievement.
• Provide evidence of continuing preparation and study.
• Contribute to student growth and development through advising and assistance and engage in service to the university and community.
• Outstanding candidates will demonstrate a commitment to serving a culturally diverse student body through delivering a student-centered education in a liberal arts and sciences context and will possess the ability to work effectively with a wide range of individuals.
• ALA-accredited master’s degree in library and/or information science earned no later than January 1, 2018.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work with a culturally, economically, and linguistically diverse community.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively.
• Aptitude for prioritizing and organizing complex tasks.
• Experience with electronic resource lifecycle activities in a library and working with vendors.
• Knowledge of best practices for discoverability of library resources.
• Knowledge of current acquisitions practices, including patron-driven or data-driven acquisitions, and how they relate to eresource management.
• Commitment and demonstrated ability to engage in scholarly and professional development activities at the level necessary to meet requirements for tenure and promotion, including professional service and scholarship.
• Knowledge of user experience methodologies for evaluating eresources.
• Knowledge of best practices for accessibility.
• Experience configuring discovery services and knowledgebases.
• Experience with integrated library systems, e.g. Alma.
• Experience managing library resource budgets.
• Experience providing reference service or library instruction in an academic library.
• Interest in new and emerging technologies and their applications in academic libraries.
The School/Academic Department: Library and Information Services exists to fulfill the information needs and foster the intellectual growth of the Metropolitan State University community. The library serves the students of Metropolitan State University, as well as community patrons from the surrounding neighborhood. The library and learning center resources cover two floors of the building, and houses the university’s print collection, as well as a large information commons space on the first floor. The library and learning center is a space shared in a partnership between Metropolitan State and the St. Paul Public Library. The two libraries frequently plan programs or host events together, to support academic learning and community engagement.
Please note: Filling of this position is contingent upon budget.
The University: Metropolitan State University, a member of the Minnesota State, serves approximately 11,000 students in the greater Twin Cities Metropolitan area. We are the most diverse university in the system, with approximately 41% of our students coming from communities of color. The university offers programs leading to baccalaureate, masters and doctoral degrees. We provide accessible, high quality liberal arts, professional and graduate education with continued emphasis on marginalized groups, including adults and communities of color. Recognized in 2008 by the Carnegie Foundation for Community Engagement and named to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll, the university is committed to academic excellence and community engagement through curriculum, teaching scholarship and services designed to support an urban mission.
Visit our web site at http://www.metrostate.edu
Application: To apply, go to http://agency.governmentjobs.com/metrostatemn/default.cfm
Applications must be received by 11:59 PM on Closing Date: Monday, October 30, 2017
Qualified applicants are required to attach the following documents to their online application:
Cover letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position;
Current curriculum vita or resume;
Names of four (4) references with addresses, email addresses and telephone numbers;
Transcripts – Valid unofficial copies of your transcript showing conferred/awarded date of your highest attained degree, with your name and the academic institution’s name/logo are required. We are not able to accept copy/paste word documents with a list of courses/grades or DARS reports. If selected for hire, official original transcripts will be required.
Additional materials may be requested at a later date.
Salary: Salary is commensurate with education and experience, and is determined by the salary placement process as outlined in the Inter Faculty Organization (IFO) Master Agreement.
* Employment for this position is covered by the collective bargaining agreement for the Inter Faculty Organization which can be found at:
http://www.hr.Minnesota State.edu/contract plans/documents/2015-2017_IFO_Contract.pdf
For the most current information on the IFO, go to www.ifo.org
If you need help submitting your online application, please contact NEO GOV @
1-855-524-5627 for technical assistance.
For TTY, call Minnesota Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS) at 7-1-1 or 1-800-627-3529.
If you have other questions related to this job announcement, please contact Carla Ballard, at 651.793.1319.
Notice: In accordance with the Minnesota State Vehicle Fleet Safety Program, employees driving on university business who use a rental or state vehicle shall be required to conform to Minnesota State’s vehicle use criteria and consent to a motor vehicle records check.
Metropolitan State University is an Equal Opportunity employer/educator committed to the principles of diversity. We prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their race, sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or membership in a local commission as defined by law. As an affirmative action employer, we actively seek and encourage applications from women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and individuals with protected veteran status.
The University provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.