The Director of Research & Analysis, a salaried, exempt position, is critical to the success of these efforts, and reports directly to the Vice President of Business Investment & Research. The Director leads the Research & Analysis department, initiating, conducting, and managing market research and analysis to frame and further GREATER MSP’s program goals and potential future initiatives. The Director supervises two Research Analysts.
• Design, implement, and manage research projects to drive and inform the organization and regional decision makers.
– support the Business Investment and Marketing departments to develop business proposal documents.
– support the Strategy department, to support the execution of the regional economic development strategy.
– support marketing efforts by identifying trends and insights, providing data and analysis and maintaining databases to leverage regional strengths and stories.
• Identify current and emerging regional economic-related trends related to GREATER MSP’s mission, programs, and initiatives. Collect data, conduct research, and develop briefing materials on potential actions to address identified trends. Conduct analysis and gather data to identify causes of current and potential future trends/issues; make related recommendations to decision-makers, including prioritization.
• Respond to staff, partner, and key constituency data/research inquiries and requests. Initiate communications with these parties as appropriate.
• Provide current data for presentations requested by staff. Ensure all staff have just-in-time access to commonly cited regional data points, e.g., population; regional comparison data etc.
Data Management & Grant Support
• Oversee, evaluate, and maintain selected databases, subscriptions, economic modeling software/programs, electronic files, online resources, and paper documentation.
• Advise on which data sources should be provided on the GREATER MSP website, and oversee and maintain data from these sources.
• Provide data and research as requested by other GREATER MSP team members to support philanthropic, government, and other grant proposals and related funding reports.
Personnel and Fiscal Management
• Recruit, build and develop the research team. Establish and monitor team performance relative to goals and objectives. Lead and direct staff through effective planning, delegation, evaluation, training, and development. Ensure each team member is utilized such that they contribute high value and have high job satisfaction.
• Working with, and at the direction of, the Vice President of Business Investment & Research, develop and monitor the Research budget; prioritize and allocate available resources; and justify, and prepare requests for, additional resources.
• Working with, and at the direction of, the Vice President of Business Investment & Research, develop and review analyses of activities, costs, and forecast data to ensure proper control and documentation of department, and to determine progress toward stated goals and objectives.
• Plan, select, negotiate, administer, review and evaluate the work of third-party research vendors retained to conduct specialized regionally-based research projects.
Organizational & Regional Leadership
• Serve on the GREATER MSP Leadership Team.
• Conduct briefings and deliver presentations to public and private officials as appropriate.
• Collaborate with internal and external clients/partners to develop research strategies and projects to support organizational and regional goals.
• Balance multiple priorities, working independently or participating as a part of a cross-functional team, keeping others informed through clear written and verbal communication, while maintaining a high level of productivity.
• Stay abreast of new research tools and reports, and devise innovative ways to present important data.
• Work with Management Team to determine research projects that will help inform organizational efforts and priorities.
• Raise the visibility of the organization/Partnership by participating in presentations, panel discussions and discussion forums in selected regional, national, and international forums.
• Help build and maintain effective relationships with individuals (internal and external) and organizations to advance GREATER MSP goals and initiatives; work effectively with individuals from other organizations.
• Develop effective working relationships within the GREATER MSP organization to ensure an integrated, cross-functional approach to fulfilling the organization’s goals and objectives.
• Contribute to the efficiency of the organization by performing other duties and participating in commissions, committees, task forces, and special projects, as assigned.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
Experience: 5- 10 years of progressively responsible relevant experience required.
Education: Undergraduate degree in business, market research, library science or related field required. Graduate degree strongly preferred.
Knowledge: Familiarity with economic and community development issues, tax policy, business site location issues, economic modeling, local government structure, and/or civic agency operations preferred. Working knowledge of GIS preferred.
Skills: Data mining and business analytics. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Excellent organizational, planning, problem solving, quantitative, project management, and supervisory skills. Proficient in MS Office Suite and database software.
GREATER MSP is an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to hiring individuals who contribute to the cultural diversity of our workplace. We provide a competitive, market-driven compensation package, including robust benefits.
To apply for this position, please email your resume and a cover letter, including your salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resume review will begin March 26th.