Department: Information Technology Services
# of openings: 1
Appointment: Full Time – Regular
FLSA Classification: Hourly (Non-Exempt)
Annualized FTE: 1.0
Priority Date: 9/23/17
Location: Regular Jobs
Purpose of Position
Macalester College seeks to hire a full-time Digital Resource Specialist to work in Information Technology Services. This position provides outreach, operational, and instructional support in the use of specialized digital resources for teaching, learning, research, and events in a high-touch and service oriented team, providing a high-quality experience for faculty, students, staff, and event participants.
• Manages the day-to-day operations and organization of campus specialized digital resources, including the Digital Resource Center
• Supervises, hires, trains, schedules, and manages student employees to provide consistent, quality service
• Maintains the specialized digital resources for optimal performance and manages equipment inventory
• Recommends new purchases and replacement of obsolete equipment
• Produces media materials such as video and audio recordings, posters, additive and subtractive manufacturing, and digital imaging
• Provides instruction and guidance in the effective use of specialized imaging and production technologies; audio/visual equipment; and related specialized software and computers during point-of-service interaction and during workshop or outreach demonstrations
• Coordinates and provides logistical and operational support for events and public programs on campus in partnership and consultation with Digital Resource Services and ITS team members; Campus Activities and Operations; Special Events; and individuals requesting event support
• Operates equipment and maintains audio visual systems as needed
• Coordinates outreach efforts promoting digital resources and services available to the Macalester College community
• Collaborates with Information Services departments (especially the Library), Digital Resource Services team members, (including providing backup when needed), Academic Information Associates, Help Desk, and other staff to achieve service goals
• Contributes to planning specialized technology development at the College, including evaluating new applications, services, equipment, and participating in information technology policy development for the College
• Contributes to the goal of strong client service in a cooperative working environment
• 3-5 years of experience is required as follows: experience applying specialized imaging, production, and recording technologies in teaching, learning, and research in higher education; and/or experience immersing students in problem solving, design thinking, technology, and hands-on creating activities
• Experience in the field of teaching, training, or public speaking strongly desired
• Demonstrated passion for discovery through technology and innovation, curiosity in and confidence with technology, and enthusiasm for working in a creative and collaborative environment
• Bachelor’s degree required; an additional 4 years of experience may be substituted for education
• Skillful in initiating, planning, executing, monitoring, and closing assigned projects
• Proficient in prioritizing multiple projects and tasks and provide support for multiple individuals, with the ability to work independently as needed
• Exceptional customer service, communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
• Attention to detail, initiative, and follow-through
• Proficient in Macintosh and Windows computing systems and related hardware and peripherals; 3D scanners and printers; laser cutters; digital cameras; virtual/augmented reality production and consumption tools; and other specialized imaging, production, and visualization tools
• Expert ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbal
• Demonstrated ability to work respectfully with sensitive and confidential information
• Ability to work occasional evening and weekend hours as requested, for special events
• Demonstrated ability to communicate and work effectively with faculty, staff, students, parents, and alumni from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds
• Ability to create and monitor processes
• Ability to quickly adapt to changing needs and technologies, especially relating to teaching and scholarship
For best consideration please submit resume and cover letter in one PDF document through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage no later than September 23, 2017. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphases on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit http://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/ for more information about benefits at Macalester College.