# of openings: 1
Appointment: Part Time – Regular
FLSA Classification: Salaried (Exempt)
Annualized FTE: 0.75
Priority Date: 2/16/18
Location: Regular Jobs
Purpose of Position
The Digital Initiatives & Literacy Librarian in collaboration with librarians and AIAs (Academic Information Associates) supports the library website, library digital services and initiatives including digital publishing, helping in the promotion of digital literacy, and supporting the Idea Lab.
The three primary areas of responsibility include:
• Library Website and Electronic Services Support – coordinates updates and overall management of the library website and is the primary contact with Communications and Public Relations. Works closely with Electronic Resources Librarian for making connections with online resources; works closely with Research & Instruction Librarians for resources including LibGuides. Provides support for library services including updating news pages, coordinating updates with Library Office, blogs located in Reclaim Hosting sites, and develops programming scripts as needed.
• Technology literacy and advocacy – assists in providing overall technical support for the library staff for projects, systems and services. Works in partnership and close collaboration with Research and Instruction Librarians, ITS, Entrepreneurship and others to continue to bring Macalester forward in the goal of being a leader among liberal arts colleges in the use of technology to improve and broaden the reach of teaching and learning. This includes advancement of IT focused making in the Idea Lab via demonstrating technologies such as a Google Jamboard, 3-D printing and more; helping mentor and develop ITS students employees in the Idea Lab; partnering with ITS in developing technology fluency on campus; and providing support for virtual networking in our group studies.
• Institutional Repository and Library publishing – supports the existing services, while exploring and evaluating options for IRs. A primary responsibility, in addition to the website, is to support the ongoing evaluation and development of the institutional repository. Library publishing includes working with the Open Textbook Network and the MPPI (Minnesota Pressbooks Project Initiative.)
• MS/MLS/MLIS/MIM from an ALA-accredited institution, related work experience may be substituted for a Master’s degree
• Minimum of 3 years experience managing websites and digital services
• Demonstrated experience with web development utilizing a variety of software, programming codes, web applications and systems related to library services (OCLC)
• Library experience highly desirable
• Academic library experience preferred
• Knowledge of best practices and trends in the profession and in area of expertise
• Knowledge of website management and expertise in utilizing appropriate web applications and programming
• Experience with specialized library systems.
• Ability to adopt, implement and teach new technologies and library systems
• Excellent interpersonal, analytical, organizational, problem-solving, and communication skills, including evidence of ability to work collegially and collaboratively within and across organizations, as well as with vendors and publishers
• Demonstrated ability to communicate and work effectively with faculty, staff, students, parents, and alumni from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds
For best consideration, please submit resume and cover letter in one PDF through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage no later than February 16, 2018. Review of applications will begin immediately. This posting will close on February 16, 2018.
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphases on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit http://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/ for more information about benefits at Macalester College.