Development Researcher Associate
About the Job
The University of Minnesota Foundation (UMF) serves as the central development office for the University of Minnesota. The Foundation raises and manages gifts from individuals and organizations to support the mission of the University. UMF includes development professionals working in dedicated medicine and health areas, regional development, and University-wide giving, as well as central services staff who support the U’s development enterprise through functions such as finance, information systems, and marketing and communications. Guided by its vision, mission, and values, UMF seeks to engage the private sector to inspire greatness at the University of Minnesota.
This position is responsible for providing professional support in fundraising to prospect development and requires an individual with a growth mindset, who has a natural curiosity to seek out information. This will include gathering, analyzing, and managing prospect research information to help advance the University’s development program on the Prospect Development team. Prospect Development is a strategic department at UMF, focusing on providing research, prospect management, principal giving services and analytics to develop portfolios and prospect pipelines. Prospect Development team members collaborate with development officers and are at the forefront with foundation leadership to provide information with actionable insight, helping to clarify priorities, increasing overall portfolio philanthropic capacity, and partnering to optimize portfolios. This position serves as a prospect researcher with basic knowledge of production, analysis, tracking, campaigns, customer service, and research deliverables, who is eager to grow and build expertise in these areas.
- Supports efforts to research affinity, including other philanthropy and interests, and wealth; conducts basic research for linkages, connections, and relationships; provides basic synthesized research and shares in DMS or through a briefing or other deliverable. Researches individuals, corporations and foundations, using online proprietary donor management system, subscription databases, and University library resources, as well as public and government websites.
- Applies basic tools and techniques for analysis, generating data insights, and presentation.
Customer Experience Management
- Provide back-up to liaison relationships or serves as direct liaison; provides basic level need to deliverable process; completes basic tasks assigned; supports proactive engagement; is placed in collaborative experiences to conduct basic tasks with colleagues and central UMF partners
- Collaborates with supervisor and research colleagues to identify and respond to opportunities for improved customer service, organizational efficiencies and resource enhancement.
- Provides as needed efforts to other functional areas, such as analytics and quality functions.
- Supports prospecting needs, fundraising goals, and fundraising population criteria; assigned tasks to connect existing research to referral recommendations.
- Completes assigned tasks in the review of major gift portfolios; provides support to portfolio optimization; provides support to development cycle and stages; enters basic data, with precision, to the donor management system.
- Identifies, evaluates and prioritizes potential donors using identified lists from supervisor or colleagues, DMS downloads, or basic queries.
- Input, utilize and manage relevant prospect information within the donor management system.
- Applies basic knowledge to scope, timeline, and deliverable documents and processes.
- Balances multiple projects and requests, with potential for competing deadlines, ensuring timely project completion and delivery of high-quality products.
- Acts as back-up liaison between collegiate units and internal Foundation departments when needed; guides and follows up on internal resources, as appropriate.
- Suggests creative and resourceful approaches to research, prospecting, and reporting challenges.
Other Departmental Activities
- Explores leading industry trends; transfers and applies learnings with help of supervisor or colleagues. Develops, maintains, and expands upon research expertise with continuing education about new sources, search methods, and relevant information technologies.
- Partners on project proposals, work plans, reports, or other written documents.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by manager.
Demonstrate commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an equitable and inclusive working and learning environment (exhibit 100% of the time)
- Continuous learning in diversity, equity and inclusion for oneself and team via training, podcasts, articles, etc.
- Seek to explore and understand cultural differences and create a culture of belonging.
- Develop and employ anti-racist practices and principles to accomplish work.
- Advocate for employees of all ethnicities, genders, ages and backgrounds
- Cultivate and develop inclusive and equitable working relationships with employees, colleagues, stakeholders, etc.
*Maintain strict confidentiality and handle sensitive information and material in an ethical and professional manner.
- Bachelor’s degree or a combination of related education and work experience in prospect, business, law or library research to total at least four years.
- Basic understanding of current research technologies and information search techniques, including online library sources, pay-subscription sources, public records, and Internet search.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and customer service skills.
- Ability to analyze and report a wide range of research findings.
- Ability to collaborate on presentations, trainings, professional meetings or team projects.
- Demonstrated experience working with data in a wide variety of formats.
- Basic understanding of data management and analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize complex tasks with multiple deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced production environment.
- One or more years of work experience in prospect, business, law or library research.
- Non-profit prospect research experience.
- Basic understanding of major gift fundraising.
About the Department
At the University of Minnesota Foundation (UMF), our mission is to connect passion with possibility, inspire generosity, and support greatness at the University of Minnesota by placing donors at the heart of everything we do and every decision we make. UMF is a nonprofit organization responsible for raising and managing gifts to the University of Minnesota.
For more information about UMF, please visit https://give.umn.edu/about/about-umf.
Working at the University
At the University of Minnesota, you’ll find a flexible work environment and supportive colleagues who are interested in lifelong learning. We prioritize work-life balance, allowing you to invest in the future of your career and in your life outside of work.
The University also offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Competitive wages, paid holidays, and generous time off
- Continuous learning opportunities through professional training and degree-seeking programs supported by the Regents Scholarship
- Low-cost medical, dental, and pharmacy plans
- Healthcare and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- University HSA contributions
- Disability and employer-paid life insurance
- Employee wellbeing program
- Excellent retirement plans with employer contribution
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) opportunity
- Financial counseling services
- Employee Assistance Program with eight sessions of counseling at no cost
Please visit the Office of Human Resources website for more information regarding benefits.
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will be given the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach a cover letter and resume.
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your “My Job Applications” page and uploading documents in the “My Cover Letters and Attachments” section.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail email@example.com or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
Please note: All employees at the University of Minnesota are required to comply with the University’s Administrative Policy: COVID-19 Vaccination and Safety Protocol by either providing proof of being fully vaccinated on their first day of employment, or complete a request for an exemption for medical exemption or religious reasons. To learn more please visit: https://safe-campus.umn.edu/return-campus/get-the-vax
About the U of M
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC)
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC), is among the largest public research universities in the country, offering undergraduate, graduate, and professional students a multitude of opportunities for study and research. Located at the heart of one of the nation’s most vibrant, diverse metropolitan communities, students on the campuses in Minneapolis and St. Paul benefit from extensive partnerships with world-renowned health centers, international corporations, government agencies, and arts, nonprofit, and public service organizations.