Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Location: St. Paul MN 55101, MN
Job Type: Full-Time
Department: Regional Administration
Job Number: 2017-00200
The Metropolitan Council of the Twin Cities has a vacancy for a full-time Data Officer.
The position will remain posted until filled. Applications received on or before September 8th, 2017 will be given preference.
The primary responsibility for this position is the standardization and management of structured and unstructured data assets in the organization. This is a highly visible position, and a big part of this position is developing the Metropolitan Council’s vision and strategy for all data management activities including data warehousing, business intelligence, master data management, data governance, data security and data quality improvement initiatives.
You will be responsible for enhancing and supporting the business by the continued delivery of data, metrics, KPIs, dashboards, and reports. This position is highly visible and requires frequent interaction with all staff levels, including Senior Management. You will supervise a team of DBA’s, Data Architect, and Report Writer.
In this role, you will work with a team of highly skilled and dedicated resources that provide exceptional support for our core applications and technologies. The IS Department offers an excellent work/life balance, with regular work hours and encouragement of a healthy lifestyle via the availability of work out facilities at our Robert Street office as well as the US Bank Building gym.
To find out how the Metropolitan Council serves the Twin Cities region, please click here for more information: https://metrocouncil.org/About-Us/The-Council-Who-We-Are.aspx.
Examples of Duties
• Develop a Council-wide vision and strategy for all data management activities including, but not limited to, data management policies and standards, data warehousing, business intelligence, master data management, data governance, and data quality improvement initiatives.
• Organize and implement policies, procedures, structures, roles and responsibilities that outline and enforce rules of engagement, decision rights and the accountabilities for the effective management of information assets on premise and off-premise (Cloud storage)
• Establish enterprise standards including a uniform and repeatable system development lifecycle methodology. Establish a common set of standards for data naming, abbreviations, acronyms, metadata management and data security.
• Create an enterprise analytics ecosystem that is capable of supporting existing business intelligence and analysis efforts, as well as the future needs of the Council. This would include supporting data scientists applying and deploying machine learning models on huge amounts of stored unstructured data.
• Standardize on a set of data tools that meet diverse data needs for structured and unstructured data.
• Manage the IT Database Administrators (DBAs) to deliver and support new and existing database systems (production and non-production), and guide the team in implementing best practices in database administration.
• Responsible for technical support and full lifecycle management of the Business Objects system.
• Determine and enforce specific security and privacy requirements for each piece of data. Create standards and controls for the appropriate protection of enterprise information assets through a defined life cycle from acquisition or creation to end of life destruction and disposal procedures.
• Build business performance dashboards that demonstrate business performance and provide information that enables employees to improve decisions, optimize processes and plans, and work proactively.
Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Data Science, Analytics or related field AND seven (7) years of experience working with data management, business intelligence, and with a minimum of three (3) of those years in a management or supervisory role.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Understanding of Data Management concepts and best practices
• Understanding of SQL and NoSQL database systems
• Experience managing structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data
• Experience with leading integration/Business Intelligence Methodology
• Possess knowledge of the inherent challenges for a Data Integration/Business Intelligence Implementation and Data Integration/Business Intelligence Methodology
• Familiarity with Hadoop Distributed File system (HDFS) architecture and cluster computing
• Knowledge of how to create an enterprise data strategy
• Knowledge of strong data security practices
• Knowledge of cloud computing and storage technologies
• Strong conceptual thinking skills, creativity and flexibility
• Analytical, attention to detail, organizational and core project management skills
• Problem solving and troubleshooting skills
• Communication and facilitation skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to perform information management assessments (review of needs, data quality, data security, etc.), and create detailed strategy and road maps surrounding business intelligence and data strategy
• Ability to solve complex issues, develop recommendations and gain support of diverse groups
• Ability to analyze complex business problems and evaluate solutions
• Ability to work collaboratively with the internal consumers of data to maximize the value of data sources.
Union/Grade: Non-Represented / Pay Grade K
FLSA Status: Exempt
Safety Sensitive: No
All experience and education must be verifiable. Candidates will move forward in the process based on the results of the following steps:
Structured Panel Interview
Selection Interview / Final Interview
Work is performed in a standard office setting. Requires travel between primary work site to other sites.
All employment offers are conditional upon a review and verification of education, employment and driving record (if applicable) as well as passing a pre-employment drug-screen for new hires.
Offers are also conditioned upon passing a criminal background check for new hires. Convictions are not an automatic disqualification from the selection process. The Metropolitan Council considers felony, gross misdemeanor and misdemeanor convictions on a case-by-case basis. Convictions are reviewed based upon the relatedness of the conviction to duties of the position as well as a candidate’s ability to demonstrate adequate rehabilitation.
Metropolitan Council employees who are applying for positions which are, Safety Sensitive, supervisory/managerial; are located in Finance, Information Services (IS), Human Resources; or have access to financial records, files/databases, cash, vouchers, transit fare cards will be required to pass a criminal background check.
Making a false statement or withholding information (misrepresentation) may cause an applicant to be barred from consideration for the position. The Metropolitan Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities. If you have a disability that requires accommodation during the selection process, please notify Human Resources at 651-602-1398.