Job ID: 323674
Job Title: Data Curation Network Project Coordinator (UL392)
Job Code: 9715
Location: Twin Cities
Empl Group: Acad Prof and Admin
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
• Master’s degree from an American Library Association accredited library school or equivalent combination of advanced degree and relevant experience.
• Demonstrated understanding of scientific research methods and data collection processes.
• Knowledge of data repositories, preservation, and curation concepts and their application.
• Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues in a service-oriented, virtual, and collaboration-intensive environment.
• Demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to the benefits of diversity and inclusion throughout an organization.
• Experience working with data in a research setting.
• Demonstrated project management skills.
• Demonstrated creativity, initiative and self-direction.
• Familiarity with metadata standards, creation, schemas, or management.
• Knowledge of software packages and file formats for collecting and analyzing scientific data, such as R, MATLAB, Python, as well as tools and workflows for supporting reproducible research.
• Understanding of trends in academic research support and expertise in providing research lifecycle support.
• Demonstrated experience working collaboratively and effectively to support remote and/or virtual users.
About the Job
The Data Curation Network (DCN) project seeks applications for a proactive and enthusiastic Project Coordinator. This is a three-year project designed to expand and launch a cross-institutional staffing model for curating research data across a network of partner institutions and general data repositories.
With support from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, the Data Curation Network will provide data curators an opportunity to share their specialized expertise across institutional boundaries and enable data repositories to professionally curate a wider variety of data at a greater depth than previously possible. The Project Coordinator will bring combined skills in data curation, project management, and team-building to help shape the future of the DCN. This position, based at the University of Minnesota Libraries, will coordinate all aspects of the Data Curation Network and report to the project’s principal investigator and Director of the Data Repository for the University of Minnesota (DRUM).
The Project Coordinator will work with a distributed network of data curators across eight institutions: University of Minnesota Libraries, Sheridan Libraries at Johns Hopkins University, University of Michigan Library, Duke University Libraries, University Library at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Cornell University Library, Penn State University Libraries, and Dryad Digital Repository. Specifically, the Coordinator will oversee the daily operations of the Network, assign data sets to the appropriate DCN Curator, and track/monitor a dataset’s progress through the Network to ensure consistent and high quality service. The Project Coordinator will engage in business and planning aspects of the project along with a team of 10 dedicated data repository managers and project Co-PIs who are committed to the success of the DCN. Dependent on disciplinary background and expertise, the Coordinator may also take on data curation duties as needed. Visit the project web site for more information at http://DataCurationNetwork.org.
• Coordination (35%)
Coordinate distributed data curation services across a network of institutions.
Provide quality assurance on curation processes which includes reviewing the finalized datasets to ensure consistent curation standards are met.
Monitor new data submissions and assign submissions to appropriate and/or best fit curators using appropriate triage techniques.
Be the point of contact for DCN Curators. Lead regular DCN Curator check-in meetings (virtual conference calls). Resolve questions or connect DCN Curators to additional support or resources.
Participate in the development and delivery of training and instructional materials.
• Project management (25%)
Develop overall project plan with milestones for project completion.
Plan and organize annual project team meetings and DCN Curator training workshops.
Create and manage a knowledge base of curation best practices and maintain internal procedure guidelines, common curation issues, and recommend solutions.
• Assessment (25%)
Tracks metrics to support evaluation of the project.
Provide up-to-date information on progress to Principal Investigators on a regular basis.
Maintain project documentation, including statistical/tracking information to include in reports to granting agency, and coordinate all reporting activities.
• Outreach (10%)
Contribute to keeping the DCN web presence and outreach materials fresh and up-to-date.
Contribute to creation and sharing of promotional materials to highlight project progress and milestones.
Present on DCN topics at national conferences and professional meetings.
• Curation (5%)
Perform high-level curation actions on all data sets (e.g. file integrity checks, file inventory/manifests, etc.).
Perform specific curation actions on data sets as assigned, depending on qualifications and expertise.
This is a full-time, 12-month, annual renewable, academic professional position with an appointment at the Assistant or Associate Librarian level.
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will have the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach a cover letter and resume.
Please attach the following documents in Word or PDF Format: (DO NOT copy and paste.)
Cover letter addressing all required qualifications and any relevant preferred qualifications (identify cover letter with UL392).
Names, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three current professional references.
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your “My Activities” page and uploading documents there.
This position will remain open until filled.