The Scott County Historical Society (SCHS) operates the Stans Museum in Shakopee. Opened in 1995, the museum includes exhibit galleries, collections, research library, and museum store. SCHS also operates the Museum Garden and 1908 Stans House at the same location. Shakopee is approximately 25 miles southwest of Minneapolis just off Highways 169 and 101.
Closing Date: open until filled
Job Type: Part Time Salary: Range $14 – $16/hour
Hours: 20 hours per week – somewhat flexible
Primary Duties:The purpose of this position is to manage Scott County Historical Society (SCHS) collections. These include archival material, photographs, artifacts, and all special collections. Work is performed with technical independence under the general direction of the executive director who may alter or amend the duties listed below.
Essential Job Functions:
• ensure collections adhere to adopted policy
• complete and maintain donor and accession records
• catalog collections and mark objects
• research and gather information and provenance on collections
• insure proper storage, including pest management, environmental monitoring, condition reports, and conservation assessments
• complete and maintain inventory of the SCHS collection
• oversee access to the collections, and assist patrons in use of collections
Other job duties:
• submit a monthly activity report to the executive director
• maintain collection and exhibit work areas
• write grants for collections
• assist in providing research assistance to visitors and requests by phone, mail and email
• assist in other SCHS projects and events as needed
• contribute to the SCHS quarterly newsletter
• occasionally work weekends and/or evenings
Reports to the executive director who reviews collections goals and progress. works closely with staff in ordering exhibit / collection supplies and materials. works with community to acquire feedback on collection goals and progress.
Equipment used: computer, printer, scanner, tape duplicator, microfilm reader, telephone, various conservation / preservation tools.
Minimum Education and Experience: Bachelors degree (Master degree preferred) from a college or university with a degree in museum studies, public history, history, or related field AND two years demonstrated experience in another museum, historical society, or equivalent organization which reveals ability to work with collections, AND coursework in archival management, OR equivalent work experience and education to satisfactorily perform the duties of Curator of Collections.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• knowledge of accepted collections / museum management policies, procedures and object conservation practices
• understanding of exhibit design, artifact handling, mount making, graphics and labels, and matting
• familiarity with Chenalle’s nomenclature
• familiarity with PastPerfect collections database
• writing and editorial skillss
• historical research skills
• ability to initiate collaborative projects
• high degree of computer literacy
• strong project management skills
Physical Aspects of the Job:
• Transport of materials up to 50 lbs.
• retrieval letter-size boxes from shelving up to 10′ in height
• set up and take down of chairs and equipment
• occasional carrying and lifting of equipment to SCHS programs and presentations
• ability to travel and provide reliable transportation
The above statements are not intended to encompass all functions and qualifications of the position. Rather, they are intended to provide a general framework of the requirements of the position. Job incumbents may be required to perform other functions not specifically addressed in this job description.
How To Apply:
To apply: submit cover letter, resume and references to the Executive Director by February 9, 2018, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Scott County Historical Society, 235 South Fuller St. Shakopee, MN 55379, 952-445-0378.