Salary: $20.62 – $27.79 Hourly
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Job Type: Provisional – Full Time
Job Number: 18-01400
Closing: 10/29/2018 4:30 PM Central
General Duty Statement
Performs intermediate level technical work promoting library services to targeted communities of color including immigrant communities. Facilitates and delivers library services with a focus on programs that contribute to children’s literacy development and school readiness as well as programs for adults such as job searching, and digital literacy. Provides direct services in English and/or a language other than English such as leading English language learning, providing translation and interpretation services, and delivering cultural competency training to Saint Paul Public Library staff and the public. Improves the effectiveness of Library communication with communities of color by developing and maintaining key contacts within the Communities. Serves as an internal consultant regarding specific communities of color to Saint Paul Public Library staff. Performs other related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Information regarding this position:
Candidates for this position should be able to communicate fluently in Spanish and demonstrate cultural competency with the Latinx community that is represented in St. Paul. Work locations for this position include: Riverview Library, Arlington Hills Library, Sun Ray Library, and variouscommunity locations. This is a full time position including evening and weekend hours.
The Cultural Liaison position will provide story time, facilitate computer classes, and provide library information at the library locations listed above. In addition, this position will work with Saint Paul’s Latinx communities to better understand community needs and co-create community-responsive library programming.
Essential Functions are the functions that the individual holding the position must be able to perform unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation. The Essential Functions for this position are identified in the Supplemental Information section of the Cultural Liaison Job Description.
The City of Saint Paul has established a Racial Equity Strategy with goals of ending racial disparity in the City as an organization, achieving racial equity in city services and engagement, and eliminating race-based disparities in our community. This citywide effort is designed to ensure that race does not predetermine opportunities in education, employment, housing, health and safety.
Must meet one of the following, as designated in the job announcement:
• A bachelor’s degree.
• Two years of college (60 semester credits) and two years of reference and referral library services experience.
• A Certificate in Urban Library Services or equivalent certification and one year of library services experience.
• Four years of experience in a social service agency providing direct client service and one year of library services experience.
• Four years of experience in a social service agency providing direct client service plus 12 college semester credits.
If applying for a position delivering services in a language other than English, must read and write fluently in the respective language.
By Closing Date, you MUST
1. Submit a cover letter and resume.
2. Upload the following required documents via the online application system. You will not be able to submit your application without these documents attached. (Zip files and web links will not be accepted. Each uploaded attachment is limited to 10MB.)
3. A legible copy of your proof of certification in Urban Library Services (if applicable).
• A legible copy of your resume (required).
• A legible copy of your cover letter (required).
• A legible copy of your proof of education (unofficial transcript is acceptable), if meeting the minimum qualifications with education.
Selection Process Information
Provisional Employment: This one-year provisional position is open to anyone who meets the position requirements. Salary ranges between $20.62 – $27.79 per hour; actual salary is based on experience. Provisional employees are not certified employees, but are eligible to receive benefits after one month of employment.
Final Selection Process: You will be notified if you are invited to participate in the final selection process which may include an interview, job simulation, work sample submission, or other evaluation method.
Condition of Employment: This position requires a background check which may include criminal history, employment history and proof of education as a condition of employment. Candidates will be required to submit proof of education to Human Resources upon conditional job offer. The City of Saint Paul encourages individuals to apply for positions regardless of criminal history.
Human Resources Contact Information:
Diane Turnbull at 651-266-6506
200 City Hall Annex
25 West Fourth Street
Saint Paul, MN 55102
Veteran’s Preference: If you are a veteran and would like to receive Veteran’s preference in accordance with MN Statute 197.455, you must submit a photocopy of your DD214 preferably at time of application. Click here for more information.
The City of Saint Paul is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Veterans, women, persons of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.