Coordinating Librarian – Adult Services
Salary: $61,907.04 – $100,143.68 Annually
Location: 12601 Ridgedale Drive, Minnetonka
Job Type: Full-time
Job Number: 17LIB465LMS124
Closing: 12/15/2017 11:59 PM Central
Hennepin County Library (HCL) is seeking a Coordinating Librarian who will be responsible for coordination and direction of Library adult services. This work requires the understanding of contemporary library services, strategic knowledge and understanding of emerging library and information technologies and trends, and the ability to facilitate effective working relationships within the system, county and community. Priority setting and defining scope will be key. In addition, demonstrated expertise in adult literacy, digital literacy, adult learning styles, and customer service is highly desirable. This position works as part of the System Services division and in partnership with managers in other Library divisions in a collaborative team environment.
The Library’s mission is to nourish minds, transform lives and build community together while being an extroverted organization committed to customer-centered services, collections, electronic access and resources, and programs and classes. Employees work every day to put the customer first to achieve our mission, vision and goals.
Hennepin County offers an impressive benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, life, and short/long-term disability insurance, 11 paid holidays per year in addition to paid time off, paid parental leave, tuition reimbursement, a defined benefit pension plan (PERA), retirement savings programs, trade time for fitness, and many more.
The primary duties and responsibilities of this position include:
• Lead the vision for scope and scale of adult services across the Library system
• Articulate and support priorities for work focus and partnerships
• Develop and strengthen employees’ skills in partnership with Library Training Coordinator and others
• Influence the overall quality of customer service to adults of all ages; provide leadership in planning for new services in close consultation with staff throughout the system
• Foster and support collaborative work with adults across Library divisions and county departments
• Serve as representative on county and community teams
• Participate in cross-functional planning teams
• Manage Adult Services’ operational budget and grant funds
• Serve as a resource to library administration and Library Board
Best Qualified Candidates will have:
• A master’s degree or higher in library science from an ALA (American Library Association) accredited program and four or more years of professional library experience with at least two of them involving supervisory experience
• Experience working collaborating with other departments, community groups or agencies to plan services and develop policies and procedures
• Management experience of complex projects and of service delivery across multiple locations
• Demonstrated ability coaching staff in aligning with organizational priorities and continuous improvement; experience with staff development
• Tactical knowledge and understanding of emerging library and information technologies and trends
• Excellent public speaking, professional writing and presentation skills
• Ability to:
– Create supportive environments, lead change, manage conflict, and evaluate performance
– Set and lead strategic priorities
– Handle multiple complex and simultaneous tasks and projects by setting priorities to meet deadlines
– Deliver inclusive and responsive customer service to diverse communities
Invitations to interview will be based on an assessment of education and experience.
Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community.