Wild Rumpus, a children’s bookstore in Minneapolis, is looking for a new Communications and Event Coordinator. The store is currently operating online only with daily curbside pickup hours; weekly outdoor sales will begin at the end of April.
The Communications and Event Coordinator will work with our Communications and Event Manager to manage and create content for Wild Rumpus’ social media, website, and events. This position is currently mostly remote with a small amount of in-person time at the bookstore; position will have at least some in-person time after the storefront reopens.
Hours: Around 30 hours/ week, including some weekend hours for events (exact number of hours/week is negotiable)
Start date: End of April or early May (exact date negotiable)
• Social media: Create content and post regularly about events, book recommendations, and animals
• Website: Add themed book lists, recommendation lists, and some updates to website
• Photos: Go to bookstore approximately once a week to take photos of books and animals for social media posts and website
• Event assistance: Introduce authors and illustrators at events and moderate Q&A sessions; act as back-up contact for events (currently all virtual)
• Respond to direct messages and comments from customers and followers on social media
• Submit event information to event calendars and local media
• Staff book reviews: Act as contact person for staff writing book reviews; send reminders and add reviews to website
• Help with curbside pickup and/or outdoor sales around once per week (can be combined with getting animal and book photos)
• Voice: Most importantly for this position, we need someone who can write clearly and effectively, and get the voice of Wild Rumpus: quirky and fun, but also empathetic to and supportive of community, and with a strong commitment to social justice and diverse representation in children’s literature.
• Familiarity with social media platforms (specifically Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter)
• Technically savvy—you don’t need to be a computer wiz, but you should be able to learn new platforms and be comfortable working online
• Ability to problem solve and to work both independently and cooperatively
• Interest in children’s literature and books; willingness to read and learn about books
• Creativity and a positive attitude
• Bookselling or other book-related experience
• Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Canva, and/or Drupal (or other website administration program)
• Experience doing social media for a bookstore or organization
• Interest in leading one or two virtual book clubs for middle grade and young adult readers
• Interest in occasionally leading virtual story times, and eventually leading in-person story times when it is safe to do so
It’s okay if you don’t have all of the qualifications on this list—if you think you might be a good fit, please apply! Persons of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com and include “Communications and Events Coordinator” in the subject line.