Salary: $16.45 – $20.04 Hourly
Location: Brookings, SD
Job Type: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Job Number: December2017a
Under the direct supervision of the Circulation Manager and Technology Services Librarian and general supervision of the Director, is responsible for circulation of all materials through compiling records, sorting and shelving books, and issuing and receiving library materials and specializes in periodicals and technical processing by performing the following duties.
Brief Description of Duties
• Greet and direct patrons entering the library; answer inquiries of a nonprofessional nature on telephone and in person and refer persons requiring professional assistance to appropriate personnel.
• Educate library patrons on use of all library services to include instructions on how to use the on-line catalog, databases, and internet, how to locate library materials, and how to use library equipment.
• Provide research assistance to patrons, using print and electronic resources.
• Check-in returned items and inspect them for damage; collect overdue fines; send overdue notices and courtesy notices.
• Sort books, publications, and other items according to classification code and return them to shelves, files, or other designated storage area;
• Issue borrower’s identification card according to established procedures.
• Order necessary material for processing new library materials.
• Print labels and process books and other non-print material acquired by the library.
• Train volunteers in library clerical routines and accessing and using library created databases.
• Assist librarians with community programs.
• Process items withdrawn and coordinate book sale of withdrawn materials with the Friends of the Library. Sort gift books and materials to include in the collection or contribute to Friends book sale.
• Provides back-up assistance to Technology Services Librarian.
• Check-in periodicals, and notify jobber when issues are not received.
• Stamp incoming periodicals with property stamp.
• Maintain a neat and orderly periodical collection. Assist in selecting and ordering periodicals. Maintain an updated list of all periodicals.
• Organize and supervise an annual inventory of periodicals.
• Prepare and maintain a procedures manual for periodicals including instructions for record-keeping, inventory and physical preparation of each issue.
• Perform duties in a manner consistent with safe practices.
• Perform other such duties as directed and/or deemed necessary.
• High school diploma or general education degree (GED) or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience in library circulation duties.
• Extensive knowledge and demonstrable experience in operation of computers with ability to operate most recent versions of Microsoft Office in addition to integrated library systems software.
• Keyboarding skills, with working knowledge of and ability to use modern office equipment, fax machine, microfilm reader/printer, lcd projectors, multi-phone systems, postage machine and photocopier.
• Demonstrable skill in communicating professionally and work cooperatively with others.
• Must be detail oriented, have good organizational skills with ability to multi-task.
• Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
• Valid South Dakota Driver’s License with acceptable driving record.