The James J. Hill Center, formerly the James J. Hill Reference Library, is a private, non-profit, business and entrepreneurial center, located in historic downtown Saint Paul on Rice Park. Since 1921, the Hill Library has housed a world-class collection of practical business information resources. Our mission is “connecting entrepreneurs, business and community.” In addition to our business information, we also host numerous non-profit, corporate, and community events.
We are a small organization with an incredible opportunity to take our ninety-six-year institution to the next level. We are seeking a motivated and self-directed Business Outreach Librarian to join our team. This position reports to the Director of Library Services.
Responsibilities for this role include:
• Manage day-to-day library experience, providing reference services to patrons via phone, email, and in-person
• Manage daily reference desk and welcome desk schedules, ensuring consistent coverage
• Deliver business research classes both internally at the Hill, and to our external partners
• Supervise Reference & Support Specialist and Volunteer/Intern program and schedules
• Lead guided tours of the library and deliver the history of the organization to visitors
• Work with Director of Library Services to develop and implement library initiatives and programs
• Create a positive work environment through flexibility, accountability, and leadership
• Actively engage with visitors to create a welcoming experience
• Attend mission related events as needed
• Master’s Degree in Library Science, or Library and Information Science (MLS/MLIS) from a graduate library program accredited by the American Library Association
• Minimum of 3 years of library experience
• Ability to work with the public in a professional and courteous manner
• Ability to build connections with partner and community organizations to expand the role of the library
• Excellent computer and research skills
• Ability to present at workshops and educational seminars
• Ability to be patron-focused and flexible, adjusting the services delivered as community needs, resources, and technology evolve
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a self-directed, industrious, and proactive environment
• Ability to communicate effectively via written documents, presentations, and interpersonal interactions
• Ability to work evening and weekend hours as needed
• Supervisory experience and/or experience supervising a volunteer/intern program a plus but not required
• Knowledge and applied work experience using business database resources
• Program and project management skills
This is a 32 hour/week position, with the potential to be full time. The position offers health/dental benefits, PTO, 403b matching, and life insurance.
To be considered as a candidate for the Business Outreach Librarian position, send your resume, salary requirements, cover letter and three professional references with “Business Outreach Librarian” in the subject line to Lindsey Dyer at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be reaching out directly to candidates who move on to the interview process. No phone calls please.
The James J. Hill Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer; applicants of all backgrounds, ethnicities, ages, genders, and sexual orientation are encouraged to apply.