Lake Agassiz Regional Library – Hawley, MN
$12.67 an hour
Performs a variety of library duties, under the direction of an appropriate supervisor, which are designed to stimulate and increase library use by all, assist library customers in locating and making use of library materials and resources; provides timely and accurate information and develops and presents library programming in the library and out in the community. Requires a moderate level of independent judgment.
• Serve as Branch Librarian or Librarian-in-Charge providing service to customers through circulation and related functions, catalog, readers’ advisory, interlibrary loan, and reference services, including use of the Internet and online databases.
• Plan, prepare and present programs and effective training in use of library resources for all ages, both in the library and in the community.
• Empower customers and promote self-service
• Foster information literacy
• Provide proactive customer service, meeting customers where they are, determining customer wants and needs, in buildings and beyond.
• Connect with leaders in community programs, organizations and schools to promote the library and its resources, making occasional visits to schools and other institutions, participating in community celebrations and events, and making presentations about library services to interested groups.
• Serve customers in person, on the telephone, by e-mail or other means of communication.
• Develop and implement summer reading programs and preschool, school-age, and teen reading programs, including outreach, promotional events and collaboration/partnerships with other entities that serve children and families with the guidance of the Regional Youth Services Coordinator.
• Develop and implement adult reading programs including outreach, promotional events and collaboration/partnerships with other entities.
• Provide library tours and orientation for the public.
• Collect and accurately record fines, fees, service charges and other monies. May prepare monthly bank deposit.
• Maintain various records and compile data for statistical reports.
• Work in conjunction with Supervisor and the Marketing Coordinator to plan, develop, and implement public relations and marketing initiatives, including the use of social networking sites or other emerging technologies, to promote the branch library, LARL, and its services.
• Keep informed of regional policies and procedures.
• Assist library customers in the use of library equipment.
• Participates in collection selection and deselection in conjunction with the Collection Development Librarian
In Smaller Branch Libraries:
• As Branch Librarian, may work with a local library advisory board, Friends of the Library organization, Jr. Friends, and other such library support organizations.
• As Branch Librarian, work with city officials on building & community needs.
• Arrange and display materials to promote circulation.
• May train, and direct the work of Library Assistants and/or volunteers under the direction of an appropriate Supervisor.
• Develop programs for volunteers to deliver service to housebound residents.
• Attend meetings and participate in library-provided means for continuing education and staff training.
• Participate in Regional Library Teams, committees and activities as directed.
• In some branches, may maintain local document file.
• Other duties consisting of similar and related tasks or of a logical work assignment to the position as directed by the appropriate supervisor and/or the Regional Library Director.
• Watch for and recognize security risks and thefts and know how to prevent or handle these situations.
This job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and public relations with tact and graciousness.
• Good customer service skills and experience working with the public.
• Ability to interact with friendliness, tact and diplomacy.
• Ability to communicate an enthusiasm for and commitment to library services.
• Ability to create a welcoming atmosphere in the library.
• Accuracy in clerical skills and attention to detail.
• Willingness to learn and practice approved library methods and procedures.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions in English.
• Continually expanding knowledge of authors and books in a wide range of reader levels and subject areas.
• Willingness to explore and meet the information needs of various library customer groups.
• Ability to interpret library policies, objectives, and services to community groups and the general public.
• Ability to make rapid analytical reviews of library materials in all subject matters and reader areas
• Ability to organize work, set priorities, and use time effectively
• Ability to work independently to meet deadlines
• Ability to learn and operate an automated system with high degree of efficiency
• Proficient skill with computers and other general office equipment
• Must possess good decision-making skills.
• Ability to adapt gracefully to constant change.
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Graduation from a four-year college preferred, but may consider an equivalent combination of library experience, training, and relevant work experience
• Effective customer service experience preferred.
• Experience in (or ability to learn) the use of integrated library systems and applications software.
Clear communication in both written and oral English.
Certificates and Licenses:
Valid driver’s license
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to stand at a public service desk and use a computer keyboard for long periods of time and move quickly from place to place within the library
• Able to lift and carry library equipment up to 40 lbs.
• Ability to reach and grasp materials with arm extended above the head or stoop to reach materials near the floor, repeatedly, over an extended period of time
• Must be able to use hands to grasp a barcode scanner for extended periods of time. The hands are also used to finger, handle or feel and for keyboarding.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job are Close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
• Able to travel to branch libraries required.
This position is 34 hours per week including evening and Saturdays. Benefits include: paid holiday, vacation & sick leave; paid single health insurance coverage; paid $20,000 term life insurance coverage; Public Employees Retirement Associate (PERA) matching deduction; Social Security (FICA); optional flexible spending plan; optional dental insurance; optional vision insurance; optional AFLAC insurance; optional deferred compensation plan; six month orientation period. Position represented by employees’ union (AFSCME). Place of employment is the Hawley Branch of Lake Agassiz Regional Library with occasional travel to other branch libraries and LINK sites required .
Application forms are required and available at larl.org/about/careers and should be submitted to: Human Resources, Lake Agassiz Regional Library, 118 5 th St S, Moorhead, MN 56560, E-mail: email@example.com Fax: 218-233-3757. Applications accepted until the position is filled.