Salary: $17.33 – $25.55 Hourly
Job Type: Full and Part-Time
Job Number: 18LIB042JRF071
Closing: 6/21/2018 11:59 PM Central
Hennepin County Library’s (HCL) Library Services Division is seeking to fill multiple Associate Librarian positions at the Hennepin County Libraries. Associate Librarians play a critical role in providing services to library patrons in-person, over the telephone, and electronically. They advise patrons on appropriate materials, perform moderately complex research, locate materials and information using all library resources, and deliver programming. As staff who are frequently a first point of contact for patrons, Associate Librarians make it a point to acknowledge and welcome patrons and work to maintain a safe and welcoming environment.
HCL’s 41 libraries and online services provide public library service in urban, suburban, and rural communities. These positions work with a wide range of diverse patrons and provide a full spectrum of library services. The majority of our libraries are open year-round, six or seven days a week. Staff schedules include evening and weekend shifts.
The list of candidates created from this posting will be used to fill current and future full-time and part-time vacancies. All positions include evening and weekend hours.
Candidates bilingual in English and another language are encouraged to apply.
The primary duties and responsibilities of these positions include:
• Provide friendly and approachable customer service in person, over the telephone, or electronically.
• Assist with a broad range of requests for information related to readers’ advisory; explain a variety of routine to complex requirements, policies, and procedures regarding patron accounts and services.
• Deliver programs; assist librarians or the service manager with program planning and evaluation.
• Assist staff and patrons with routine to complex needs related to the use of library technology and resources, online and downloadable materials, library computers, printers, scanners, photocopiers, and audiovisual equipment.
• Continue to learn about and demonstrate skill in the use of evolving and emerging technology used by patrons.
• Proactively maintain a welcoming and safe environment by managing patron behavior in the library and working with security staff as necessary to address challenges.
• Contribute to managing library spaces, including public meeting rooms; complete building needs/facility work requests as necessary.
• Contribute to collection maintenance; suggest materials for addition to the collection.
• Provide or assist with story times, group tours, and orientation to the library.
• Collaborate with other staff to coordinate the work of volunteers to support programming and service needs.
• Create and manage displays.
• Perform a variety of patron service and materials handling tasks as needed, including assisting patrons with their accounts, collecting fines and fees, preparing financial and other reports, and processing materials for circulation.
Best Qualified Candidates will have:
• One of the following:
– Bachelor’s degree or higher in library and information science or another field related to the position.
– Two or more years of post-secondary education including 12 or more semester (18 quarter) credits in library science, library information technology, or another related field and one or more years of library or related experience.
– Four or more years of library experience.
• Exemplary customer service skills and a commitment to public service to patrons of all ages and backgrounds in a culturally responsive and respectful manner.
• Knowledge of multiple technology tools such as library applications, social media, databases, eBooks, and word processing, and the ability to learn with patrons as technology advances.
• Ability to be flexible and willingness to learn, demonstrating personal continuous improvement.
• Ability to be a strong contributor in a team-based environment.
Invitations to interview will be based on an assessment of education and experience. Bilingual candidates must pass a language assessment to qualify for bilingual duties and pay.
Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community.