Salary: $84,618.00 – $132,216.00 Annually
Location: Eagan, MN
Job Type: Full-Time
Department: County Library
Job Number: 41600.16.001
Closing: 2/11/2019 4:30 PM Central
POSTING TYPE: Open and Competitive
HIRING RANGE: $84,618-$95,196/year (111 Grade Level. 2019 Rates)
SALARY RANGE: Click here to view full salary range
LOCATION: Wescott Library
CLOSE DATE: 4:30 p.m. on 2/11/2019
Come join us at Dakota County and “Be more”! The work County government does is unique. You will not be just another employee; you’ll be a valued employee making a difference in the lives of Dakota County residents every single day. We employ nearly 1800 skilled individuals whose talents and contributions makes Dakota County a premier place to live and work. Will you be the next person to join us at Dakota County?
The Assistant Library Director supervises the managers of the nine branches. Areas of responsibility include coordinating the activities of the branches and delivery of library services in such a way as to effectively meet customer needs, coordinate programs and services in the branches and ensure efficient library operation. Position coordinates and directs activities, programs, policies, and planning in association with the Director, Deputy Director, Library Managers, Library staff and other County Departments. This position reports to the Library Director.
• Masters’ degree in Library and Informational Science (MILS) or equivalent degree, from a library education program accredited by the American Library Association
• Five to eight years Public Library administrative experience.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS BEYOND MINIMUM REQUIRED:
• Experience in strategic planning for library services
Duties & Responsibilities
These examples do not include all possible tasks in this work and do not limit the assignment of related tasks in any position of this classification. Regular attendance according to the position’s management approved work schedule is required for all positions..
1. Direct operations of Dakota County Library locations.
2. Coordinate with Library Director and Deputy Director on strategy for community engagement and program development.
3. Work with Library senior leadership on development and implementation of annual work plans reflecting the Library Strategic Plan goals.
4. Work with Library Director and Deputy Director on development of recommended operating budget. Oversee of the implementation of approved budget within library locations.
5. Participates in long range planning processes for customer services.
6. Develop appropriate goals, outcomes, and measures for Library operations.
7. Encourage and promote best practices in management and delivery of services.
8. Direct and coordinate with branch managers and staff to ensure effective, efficient and responsive customer service.
9. Lead and/or convene Library system teams and committees; participates in networking and professional development activities.
Duties 1-9 are considered essential functions of the position.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities and Work Environment
• Leadership and decision-making with management experience, preferably in public libraries
• Broad experience in public library operations and management, particularly library operations
• Organizational knowledge and coordination of library services in response to community needs
• Effective verbal and in written communication skills
• Administrative skills
• Ability to think and plan on the strategic level
• Ability to deal with ambiguity while focusing on long-term goals
• Ability and skill to motivate, encourage, and recognize staff development and achievement, and appreciate and support diversity
• Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with clients, co-workers, vendors, other County departments and the public
• Thorough knowledge of and experience with library science systems, principles, and procedures
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is primarily sedentary; it is usually accomplished while incumbent is comfortably seated at a desk or table. There is some walking and some travel to meetings and conferences away from the regular place of work. Items carried typically include light objects such as briefcases, notebooks, work papers, and data printouts.
SELECTION PROCESS: The examination/selection process for this classification will consist of a rating of your training and experience from the application materials submitted. The top scoring candidates will be forwarded to the hiring department for further consideration. Qualified candidates must pass a criminal history background check and may be required to pass a pre-employment drug test
Dakota County Employee Relations
Main Number 651.438.4435 (contact 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday)