The Albert Lea Public Library is seeking a highly motivated individual with strong leadership, managerial and supervisory skills for the position of Assistant Library Director. The Albert Lea Public Library is a county library with a service population of over 31,000 and an annual circulation of over 240,000 items. If you enjoy living in a small community and are enthusiastic, self-motivated, and open to new ideas, consider joining the Albert Lea Public Library team as a full-time Assistant Library Director with a focus on adult programming.
Working under the direction of the Library Director to ensure that the Library is achieving its mission as set forth in its strategic plan. Provide accurate and friendly reference services, an up-to-date collection that responds to the needs of the community, and programs, which emphasize the variety of the Library’s resources. Work with the staff to determine overall Library goals, coordinate services and formulate policies and procedures. This position oversees a small staff of professional, technical and clerical employees. Successful completion of a background check is required prior to appointment and is a condition of employment.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
• Act as Library Director in the absence of the Director.
• Use management and technology skills to improve efficiency and facilitate the delivery of services.
• Build and maintain effective work relations with staff, customers, administration and the community.
• Collect and analyze statistics and determine implications for service. Assist in the development of Library budget.
• Engage in direct public service; develop and maintain a thorough understanding of ALPL policies and ensure their appropriate application to customer service transactions.
• A commitment to teamwork.
• Develop and oversee adult program schedule.
• Oversee overall collection development for adult materials. Select materials in specific subject areas as needed.
• Perform related work and special projects as assigned.
• Pursue grant opportunities.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Master‘s degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited program,
• Progressively responsible work experience in a public library and a minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience.
HIRING RANGE: $ 57,000 to $ 64,000
Application Closing Date: May 30, 2018
Send cover letter, resume and application to:
City of Albert Lea
221 E. Clark Street
Albert Lea, MN 56007
See website for additional information: http://cityofalbertlea.org/employment/
Equal Opportunity Employer